What are platform integrations?
This feature allows institutions to connect their Mainstay data to a third-party platform, such as Ellucian Colleague. This enables a 2-way sync of contact record data, including default fields (name, phone, email, etc.) and custom fields created by the partner. To learn more, visit Platform Integrations.
Mainstay also offers scheduled data sync integrations with Ellucian Banner and Ellucian Recruit via SFTP. See Mainstay Sync for SFTP for details.
Ensure Ellucian is configured
Before connecting Mainstay to your Ellucian platform, follow this checklist to ensure Colleague and Ethos are configured to send data to and receive data from external platforms: https://resources.elluciancloud.com/bundle/ellucian_workflow_acn_configure/page/r_auth_source_setup_colleague.html
You'll also need to grant Mainstay access to your API by following the steps outlined on https://resources.elluciancloud.com/bundle/ethos_integration_acn_configure/page/c_colleague_api_user_overview.html. See "Configuring Ethos" at the end of this article for more details.
Add an integration instance
- From the Browse Available page, click Learn More for the individual platform, in this case, Ellucian Colleague.
- In the Available Integrations section, there will generally be two options: an incoming integration that will send data from the external platform into Mainstay, and an outgoing integration that will send data from Mainstay to the external platform.
- Click the green Add New button to view a configuration modal for a new integration instance.
- Alternately, in the Configured section below, click the pencil icon on an existing integration instance to adjust its configuration.
Add or Edit an integration instance
- Before configuring an integration instance, create an API key in Ellucian Ethos. The user associated with that API key will need access to the following Ethos resources:
- For Ellucian Colleague > Mainstay integrations, also create a subscription queue for changes to Persons records. The integration will need to read from this subscription to know when contacts have been updated.
- Within the Configuration Wizard, on the Instance Details screen, create a display name and description for this instance. This is what will appear in the list; these values are only used for internal display purposes.
- Next, on the Authentication screen, authorize access to the external platform by selecting a previously used account or adding a new account. You will be prompted to enter your Ellucian API key.
- Next, wait for the Fetching Ellucian Schema screen to complete; it may take a few minutes to fully generate your Ellucian fields, types, and values.
- Finally, on the Data Mapping screen, determine which Mainstay fields match to which external platform fields. Note that all Mainstay contacts are required to have first name, last name, and phone number, so these fields must be mapped to something on the external platform.
- The dropdown menus will present all existing fields in each platform.
- Click the trashcan icon to remove a field mapping.
- Click Finish to complete the data mapping.
Enable/Disable or Delete an integration instance
- On the screen listing all instances for a specific platform, click the toggle to switch between enabled (to the right, with green showing) and disabled (to the left, with gray showing).
- Alternately, click the trashcan icon to remove this instance and configuration altogether.
View error logs
- In the side bar, click Sync Log, or visit https://app.mainstay.com/settings/sync-log.
- This table presents a list of errors encountered while attempting to sync data between Mainstay and third-party platforms. Each log includes the following fields:
- integration (ie, which platform)
- direction (incoming or outgoing)
- contact (a link to the Contact page of the affected individual)
- log message (ie, error code)
- If you encounter data validation errors while importing contact records, visit the Import Error Dictionary to better understand next steps.
- You can also download this data for a specific time range by clicking Download Logs in the top-right corner.
The Ellucian documentation outlines several steps you'll need to take to ensure Mainstay can access your records to view and create/update data. Thank you to our partners at Bellarmine University for providing the following screenshots of each step in that process. (Note that the actual values will be unique for your institution.)
- Name and Address Entry (Person)
- Operator Definition
- Registry User Setup
- Organization Role Definition
- Maintain Role-Permission Relationships
- Assign Resource to Org Roles