There are two types of responses: "Default" and "Personalized". A Personalized Response is an answer that either contains learner-specific information (like their name or the value of some custom field) and/or is only available to learners who meet the criteria for a selected Audience.
After our MatchMaker AI identifies that this understanding most closely matches the learner's incoming message, we determine if the learner is eligible for any of the personalized responses. If not, they'll receive a default response.
If there are multiple default answers, one will be chosen at random. This is most useful for answers your bot is likely to deliver multiple times in the same conversation, like “you’re welcome.” Having some variety in its responses makes your bot seem, well, a little less robotic!
Creating and Editing Responses
You can create or edit a response in the Knowledge Base for any understanding. (To create a new understanding, see Knowledge Base Understandings.)
- Navigate to the Knowledge Base page.
- Search for the Understanding you'd like to edit and select it, opening the understanding panel.
- If there is an existing response, you can click into it to edit it. You can create a new one by clicking + Add Response.
- You can optionally click Set an Audience to restrict who is eligible to receive this Personalized Response.
- If you'd like to answer this question with a Script, select Interactive Response.
- Otherwise, enter a response into the text box. This response can include the following items:
- You can also use generative AI to suggest one or more response options, and then edit those. (This feature can be enabled on the Generative AI Settings page, and requires Knowledge Sources have been scraped.)
- Click the firefly AI menu and select "Suggest Response". This may take a few seconds.
- Use the < and > buttons to navigate between your original response (or the empty text box) and the generated suggestions.
- Click the thumbs-down button to remove a suggestion.
- You can edit the response text, and insert attributes, links, and emojis as normal.
- When you click Save, the visible text will be saved. Any other suggestions will be discarded.
- Select the right approval status:
- Approved: the response is available for the bot to send to learners
- Not Approved: the response is not available to the bot; if there are no approved answers, this understanding will be skipped during the AI matching process.
Using a Mainstay Suggested Response
For some understandings, Mainstay also provides a suggestion written by our team. Simply click Add this response, and you are able to edit and approve this answer.